We don't eat dairy at our house, and we missed having ice cream so badly that we bought a Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker. We have tried quite a lot of recipes in it, but this plain ole' vanilla recipe is our favorite. We can each add whatever we want to afterwards. I like to put cinnamon, and pecans, and ginger snaps in mine. YUM!
Vanilla Soy Ice Cream (I don't remember where I found this)
Serves 4 (or Caylee and I) :-)
1 C powdered sugar
4 egg yolks, or 1/2 C of egg beaters
1 tsp. of corn starch
2 C soy milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract (if you are gluten intolerant make sure to use a GF extract)
1. Put the egg yolks, sugar, and corn starch into a bowl; whisk the mixture together.
2. Heat the soy milk; slowly pour the hot soy milk into the mixture while continuing to heat.
3. Add the vanilla extract.
4. Gently heat the mixture until it thickens.
5. Let the mixture cool in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours.
6. Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker; make ice cream following the instructions of the machine.
Put whatever toppings you enjoy on it. Stawberries, blueberries, banana, cookies, honey, candy bars...endless possibilites.